Tuesday, November 1, 2011

(Page 1) Custom Designed Game Cases

Greetings
I'm Paula designer for Game Case World.  This is the first page, of many to follow, of game case covers I have worked on.  Color, contrast and action game cases are a unique art style unto themselves that are under appreciated.  I hope you like seeing some of our projects.

 
Dragon Ball Z
I drew out the logo with the pen tool, even the star so it would be a super sharp vector graphic. I also drew in part of the bad guy, because over half of this cover I had to make up, that's a lot of blank space!


$ Purchase Dragon Ball Z Super Saiya Densetsu Game Case
I had to add in texture to make this cover look proper. The outfit and hair I added a vector layer so that it would pop when printed. The balls he's holding I made '3D' and added back in the text....on to the next...

YS

I had to make up a LOT on this cover but really had fun with it. I made it too large, so at the end of the day - a lot was cropped out. Here is my too large copy...


 The YS is vector (scalable art work to print top quality) and there is a lot of brush effects used and feathers added. I left a tangeant at the top - I can hear my design teachers in my head. But really -- how to resolve it!! lol...okay moving on...



$ Purchase the new YS Mask of the Sun IV SNES Game Case
This is an old Japanese broadcast title where Excitebike stars some familiar faces. The original coverscreen this is based on was so pixelated I couldn't make out parts of mario or tell what was going on with his bike. I used a Photoshop layer to trace all the outlines of Mario. I then put a layer underneath and colored him. Finally I merged a copy of the layers and added noise. The clouds and most of the image is vector - except for the background players which, when printed out, are fine at their original resolution.
Excitebike




$ Purchase Excitebike BS (Japanese Broadcast Game) Game Case
Resolution? Print quality, pixels per inch. Most graphics you might google are at 72dpi but to print properly they need to be between 150-300dpi. The Cover Project does provide 300dpi images -- but then one has to contend with - is it a good scan? Usually they are, but the Cover Project doesn't have everything and I'm working on a cover version to submit to the Cover Project.
I guess this may be a good spot to point out that not all ink is equal nor all printers. The printer used at GameCaseWorld is three foot or so wide and is used to print photographs. Super high resolution - oh, and it talks to me.

Oh No More Zombies and Heracles III
Here is a font that was originally hand drawn. I had to hand draw most of the OH NO! MORE part, match up the gradient and make the MORE stand out. This was my first job for Game Case World.

$Purchase Oh No! More Zombies Ate My Neighbors SNES Game Case
On Heracles it was fairly simple to add the III to the image, but the gradient and glow had to be matched, and for the logo to be added to the side and back it had to be seemlessly removed.
Full sized image
$Purchase Glory of Heracles III SNES Game Case

Zeldas

Here are the Zelda covers I made. I started out too complex and had to redo the first couple of tries. This was the first entire cover I had to create.
Here I traced out the font, traced the sword, added a stone effect, created the chisel and reflection.





Zelda BS No Denetsu Case Cover....click for larger images...


$ Purchase BS Zelda Map 1
No Denetsu Map II




$ Purchase BS Zelda Map 2
Star Fox Super Weekend Game Case

I created an entire realistic planet but at the end of the day it's pretty obscured by the logo but everything is a learning experience. (Green lines through the image are from making a screen shot in Photoshop - they are guidelines so I can measure that the text is even.)
StarFox
$ Purchase this SNES Super Star Fox Weekend Game Case

No comments:

Post a Comment